Goalkeeper Brian Arblaster, who passed away in Killamarsh on January 24th, 2013, was born in west London but was evacuated to north-east Derbyshire as an infant, in 1944. He first came through the doors of Saltergate in response to a newspaper advert offering trials at the club.  Brian was recognised by a local journalist as being a Sheffield United amateur, and The Blades were tipped off: they called him in the next day, to give him a rollocking and offer him semi-pro terms!  He joined Chesterfield in December 1964 after the car crash that killed Ralph Hunt and ended Ron Powell's career: the Spireites wanted a keeper for the short term, and agreed that Brian would be transferred back to The Lane when the injury situation improved, but he stayed, giving a succession of sound, consistent displays.


His finest was probably at Stoke, in a 1965-6 Football League Cup, third round replay, where his agility and bravery had helped keep the score at 2-1 to the home side, despite The Spireites’ defence taking a fearful mauling.  After the game, some players went into The Potters’ Supporters' Club bar.  Brian was recognised, and responded to the chants of Stoke fans by going onto the stage to acknowledge their warm reception.  While he was up there, he presented the night's bingo prize!  City tried to buy him after his display, but the club opted to keep him and sell John Osborne instead.


Brian's decision to stay part-time at Saltergate boosted his income but led to his departure after 58 games in league and cup; his Scunthorpe career ended for the same reason.  At Oakwell, he recovered from conceding five goals in his second appearance (after which the manager told the press that he'd made a mistake in signing Brian!) to become a well-respected figure, rated as spectacular and utterly fearless, and whose career ended after 111 league appearances only after he broke an ankle while playing outfield in a pre-season training session.


After leaving Barnsley Brian went non-league with Boston United and enjoyed one more day in football’s limelight as goalkeeper to the Matlock Town team that beat Mansfield 5-2 in the 1976-7 FA Cup. Away from the game he became an HGV driver with the NCB.