As a six-year old, Glynn Hurst moved to South Africa with his family, returning to England ten years later and talking up an apprenticeship with Spurs. He moved to Barnsley on a free in 1994 but made only eight appearances, all from the sub’s bench. During his time at Oakwell he was called up for the South African under-23 team on five occasions.


Glynn went through loan spells at Swansea and Mansfield, but drifted into the non-league game with Emley in 1997 and found work as a concrete moulder. He returned to pro football after that club’s run to the third round of the FA Cup, in which he scored five goals and which featured a creditable performance against West Ham in the third round. He had to go to Scotland to do it, though, since only Ayr United seemed prepared to take a punt on him.


Ayr were well rewarded - Glynn returned 49 goals from 78 games and earned a £150,000 move to an upwardly-mobile Stockport County, in February 2001. County did not use him to best effect, though, and by December he was in Chesterfield’s colours.


Nick law had sought to revitalise a Spireite side that had recently been promoted to division three but that was beginning to find life difficult. Doing this meant trading in striker Luke Beckett, one of the few remaining saleable assets for a club still in administration at the time. Beckett went to Stockport and Hurst came the other way, ostensibly on a free, but with a cash settlement for Beckett in Chesterfield’s favour.


Full of running, Glynn was a player who could score goals from anywhere, but his pace was a dangerous weapon, and he often had the beating of a keeper in a one-on-one by delaying his shot until the moment the goalie committed himself. Work on his general fitness paid dividends and his scoring return in a struggling side was a good one, but he will of course be remembered for just one particular goal. Needing to beat Luton on the last day of the 2003-4 season to stay up, Hurst broke through onto a long pass with three minutes of the match left to beat Dean Brill in the Luton goal with a low shot into the Kop goal.


No sooner had the euphoria began to sink in, than Glynn was off to Notts County. The deal had the appearance of having been done some time before the end of the season (as was proper, for players with contracts about to expire) but Glynn’s continued commitment to Chesterfield didn’t wane. Despite filing decent goal returns at Notts and, later on, at Bury, Glynn never quite seemed the same player as the one that spearheaded Chesterfield’s attack for three years.


After moving around the non-league scene Glynn played his last football with FC United of Manchester, retiring in 2010 to attend Edge Hill University to train as a teacher of religious education.



For Chesterfield: 77+7 Football League appearances; 29 goals.